Parish Clerk & Responsible Financial Officer
Job title: Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer
Organisation: Dinton Parish Council
Salary: SCP Salary Scale Commensurate with Experience
Hours: 6 hours per week average + extra as required
Email address: email@example.com
Dinton Parish Council is looking for an enthusiastic, efficient and self-motivated person to fill the role of Clerk to the Council and Responsible Financial Officer. This is a part-time opportunity to work with the local parish council with the flexibility to work mainly from home.
Demonstrating knowledge of local government law and financial procedures, the ideal candidate will have appropriate managerial and financial experience within the local council or public sector. Previous experience as a Parish Clerk working to regular Council deadlines would be an advantage.
Ideally, applicants should hold the Certificate in Local Government Administration (CILCA) or be willing to achieve this.
The post will be for 6 hours per week, plus occasional extra hours as required, and the salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience.
The Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer will:
- be the Proper Officer of the Council and as such will be under statutory duty to carry out all its functions, in particular to serve or issue all the notifications required by law.
- be responsible for ensuring that the instructions of the Council in connection with its function are carried out.
- advise the Council on, and assist in the formation of, overall policies to be followed in respect of its activities.
- be accountable to the Council for effective management of all its resources.
- report to the Council as and when required.
- be the Responsible Financial Officer, responsible for all financial records of the Council and careful and timely administration of its finances.
Key tasks will include: acting as an adviser and ensuring the council follows sound governance practices; attendance at monthly and extraordinary Council meetings in Dinton; preparation of minutes and agenda actions; management of accounts; banking; PAYE, VAT and budgets; preparation of annual audit and accountability return; and management of the Council’s website. Experience in using IT (emails, word processing, spreadsheets, internet, website) will be essential. IT equipment/laptop will be provided.
Applicants are invited to send their CV, two references and covering letter detailing their personal specification to firstname.lastname@example.org